|Introduction||May 1916 |
|Primary users|| France|
|Developed from||Nieuport 11|
|Wingspan||7.47 m (24 ft 6 in) |
|Engine||110hp Le Rhône 9J rotary|
|Armament||top-wing or sync. Lewis|
|Max Speed||165 km/h (103 mph)|
|Climb||2,000 m (6,560 ft) in 5:50|
3,000 m (9,840 ft) in 10:10 [note 1]
|Ceiling||4,800 m (15,700 ft) |
As the 110hp Le Rhône 9J rotary engine became more available, it seemed a natural fit to replace the 80hp Le Rhône in the highly-successful Nieuport 11. The result was the Nieuport 16, which was otherwise similar to the Nieuport 11 except for a revised engine cowl and a headrest for the pilot. By early summer 1916, the N16 started to trickle into the escadrilles, where they served alongside Nieuport 11s. By late 1916 most escadrilles had started to replace their N11s and N16s with the new Nieuport 17.
The RNAS purchased a couple dozen of them but they were transferred to the RFC, where they were greatly preferred to the D.H.2. Some were fitted with synchronizer gear and the Lewis gun was moved to the top deck.
For more information, see Wikipedia:Nieuport 16.
Plane and Crew Cards
Miniatures and Models
A Nieuport 11 makes a fine substitute.
- Shapeways: Columbia Aerodrome (rockets), Reduced Aircraft Factory, Reduced Aircraft Factory (synchronized)
- Wings of War, with brown Caquot balloon: Johnson/Prince 124e Esc. Lafayette
- Wings of War, with yellow Caquot balloon: De Guiibert, 62e Esc.
- For Russian planes, Durkota gives 1,000 m (3,280 ft) in 2:48, 2,000 m (6,560 ft) in 6:24, 3,000 m (9,840 ft) in 10:00, 4,000 m (13,100 ft) in 16:30.
- Updated card
- Davilla, p.377.
- Lamberton, pp.216-217.
- Davilla, p.378.
- Durkota, p.358.
- Davilla, p.377.
- Durkota, p.353.
- Dr. James J. Davilla and Arthur M. Soltan. French Aircraft of the First World War. Flying Machines Press, 1997. ISBN 0-9637110-4-0.
- Alan Durkota, Thomas Darcey, and Victor Kulikov. The Imperial Russian Air Service. Flying Machines Press, 1995. ISBN 0-9637110-2-4
- W.M. Lamberton and E.F. Cheesman, Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War. Great Britain: Harleyford Publications Limited, 1960.