Giovanni "Gianni" Caproni founded Società di Aviazione Ing. Caproni e Faccanoni, Vizzola, in 1908 and started building large aircraft in 1911. Caproni was manufacturing three-engine bombers long before the Gothas and Handley-Pages hit the drawing boards.
Caproni nomenclature is confusing because there is frequent mixing of the military designation (e.g. Ca.2) and the company designation (e.g. Ca.32). Add to that the CAP/CEP nomenclature for French-flown Capronis and name-mixing is certain.
Production aircraft from the Great War or shortly thereafter include:
- Caproni Ca.1
- Caproni Ca.2
- Caproni Ca.3
- Caproni Ca.4 (triplanes)
- Caproni Ca.5