|Designer||Henri Coanda |
|First flight||July 1913 |
|Primary users|| U.K. (RNAS)|
|Wingspan||11.5 m (37 ft 8 in) |
|Engine||80-100hp rotary of various types|
|Armament||bombload 54 kg (120 lb)|
|Max Speed||121 km/h (75 mph) |
|Climb||910 m (3,000 ft) in 11:00 |
The name of the Bristol T.B.8 derives from "Tractor Biplane, 80hp". While the original was a landplane, a seaplane conversion interested the Admiralty, and both landplane and seaplane versions were sold to the RNAS. They served with the Eastchurch Squadron in 1914 and with No.1 Squadron RNAS in Gosport and Newcastle and -- in February 1915 -- France. Though they served in only small numbers, another twenty-four were ordered in August 1915 for RNAS training duties.  Some went to Romania and served in the Balkan wars, and some may have been built in France by Bréguet.
For more information, see Wikipedia:Bristol T.B.8.
- Lamberton, p.62.
- Bruce, p.109.
- Lamberton, pp.214-215.
- Bruce'69, p.113.