|First flight||July 1913|
|Introduction||Aug 1914 |
|Primary user||U.K. (RFC/RAF)|
|Variants||504A, 504B, 504C, 504K|
|Wingspan||11.0 m (36 ft) |
|Engine||80hp Gnome rotary|
|Armament||usually none, up to 36 kg (80 lb) of bombs|
|Max Speed||132 km/h (82 mph) |
|Climb||1,100 m (3,500 ft) in 7:00 |
|Ceiling||3,700 m (12,000 ft)|
The first Avro 504 was put to demonstration use with good effect, because the War Office ordered twelve 504s in the summer of 1914,a and others followed. A few of those early 504s made it to France with No.5 Squadron in August 1914, and they were used in ones and twos by most of the early squadrons. The RNAS received their first 504s in November 1914.
Occasionally their crews would try to jury-rig some type of gun mounting and they were greeted with rare successes, but generally the planes were flown unarmed with the pilot in the rear seat. More lasting effect was wrought by the RNAS Avros that attacked the zeppelin sheds at Friedrichshafen, damaging a zeppelin.
In all, 8,340 Avro 504s were produced; of which the vast majorities were trainers.
For more information, see Wikipedia:Avro 504.
- Lamberton, p.61.
- Lamberton, pp.214-215.
- Bruce'69, p.52.
- Bruce, p.39.
- Bruce, p.53.