Société Anonyme des Éstablishments Nieuport was opened in 1909 by Édouard de Nieport[note 1] in Darracq, France. Édouard died in a crash in 1911 and the company leadership fell to his brother Charles, who subsequently died in a crash in 1913. Chief engineering responsibilities fell to Gustav Delage, who designed many of the famous Nieuport aircraft of WWI.
Production aircraft from the Great War or shortly thereafter include:
- It is not known why the spelling of the founder and the company are different
- Davilla and Soltan, p. 349.