|First flight||January 1916 |
|Number built||26 |
|Wingspan||21.6 m (70 ft 9 in) |
|Engine||2×160hp Mercedes D.III inlines|
|Armament||730 kg (1,600 lb) torpedo and/or|
rear flexible Parabellum
|Max Speed||103 km/h (64 mph)[note 1]-127 km/h (79 mph)|
|Climb||910 m (3,000 ft) in 26:30|
1,000 m (3,280 ft) in 22:00-29:00
The Brandenburg GW was a torpedo bomber from 1916. Twenty-six were delivered and most operated from the seaplane station at Angernsee in Courland.  When experiments with torpedo-bombing proved unproductive, most were probably converted to patrol and training duties.
Three varieties were built, starting with the first ten in April through August 1916, followed by five with a single rudder and more rounded nose in September 1916-Jan 1917, and a final batch of five in autumn 1917 with a shorter fuselage. One experimental model with larger lifting surfaces was built in 1916.
For more information, see Wikipedia:Hansa-Brandenburg W.
- 103 km/h (64 mph) may have been the cruising speed.
- Nowarra, p.52.
- Gray, p.309.
- Nowarra, pp.204-205.
- Peter Gray and Owen Thetford. German Aircraft of the First World War. Great Britain, Putnam, 1962, 1987. ISBN 0-85177-809-7.
- Heinz J. Nowarra, Bruce Robertson, and Peter G. Cooksley. Marine Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War. Letchworth, Herts, England: Harleyford Publications Limited, 1966. ISBN 0900435070